Pokai Bay Beach Park
Positioned between the Small Boat Harbor and the Kane’ilio Level, Pokai Bay Seashore Park is essentially the most protected bay alongside the Waianae shoreline in leeward Oahu. Even throughout winter, when different seashores in leeward Oahu are battered by excessive surfs, Pokai Bay stays calm. And whereas different seashores are eroded by seasonal excessive surfs, Pokai Bay’s steady sand shore stays intact all yr spherical. A number of options of the seashore account for this. One is the seashore’s gently sloping sand, and two, the breakwater point that’s remnant of the now defunct Small Boat Harbor. The close-in reef on the middle of the bay additionally turns mellower waves simply excellent for novice surfers. If you happen to prefer to fish, the realm close to the breakwater is a great spot. Due to its calm waves, Pokai Bay Seashore is the right spot for snorkeling and for swimming even for youngsters all yr spherical.
Fronted by a 15-acre park, Pokai Bay Seashore gives fantastic shade and house for leisure and recreation for households and people alike. Be careful for boat visitors and occasional canoes in close by areas. The seashore park can be situated within the sunniest and driest components of Oahu. Deliver loads of water to keep away from dehydration and SPF 15 sunblock, and wide-brimmed hat to guard your self from excessive warmth and solar.
Providers and facilities: lifeguards, picnic areas, barbecue grills, restrooms, showers, telephones,
5 distinctive issues about Pokai Bay Seashore Park
- Within the Hawaiian language, Pokai means “evening of the supreme one.”
- The seashore is known as after Hawaiian chief Pokai, a touring Kahiki chief who, in line with legend, planted the primary coconut within the island from Kahiki.
- On the southwest finish of Pokai Bay Seashore Park is the Kane’ilio Level. The purpose is the situation of the sacred Ku’ilioloa heiau, an historic Hawaiian temple.
- Primarily based on native legend, the primary coconut in Hawaii was planted right here. A coconut grove even grew as soon as within the bay’s backshore.
- The unique Waianae Small Boat Harbor was situated right here.